Monday, February 11, 2008

Strep Throat & Type A Influenza

So who knew I would become my sweet little preemie's worst health threat. I found out today I have both strep throat and Type A Influenza. My mother in law asked what symptoms of the Flu are. I told her I did not know how to differentiate them from those of Strep. I have never had either one of these sicknesses. I knew something was very wrong because I want to sleep and not wake up! My whole body hurts, a lot. My head hurts so bad and my eyeballs are swollen half shut. I told the nurse I was worried that maybe brain fluid was leaking and making my eyes swell and hurt. You could tell she thought I was overreacting. I have a fever, sore throat, sore ears, IRRITABILITY, nausea, and a general feeling of malaise. They did the strep test first and then the flu test. The results of the strep came back positive and I have to be honest I was glad because I would be able to take an antibiotic and feel better. I knew there was no way I would have both. I waited another several minutes and the doctor came in and told me the Type A test was positive too. He assured me the reason my eyeballs were swollen was the flu and not my brain fluid leaking out. He sent me home with an antibiotic and told me to wear a mask when the coughing starts. Apparently I have not reached the pinnacle of the Flu experience yet! I hope I don't give either of these to my sweet little beasts or to my mother in law who came over while I went to the doctor and then took care of them while I attempted to rest.

2 comments:

Julie J. said...

I wish I could be a better friend and come and take care of you and your little ones.

Emily said...

I am so sorry! Double whammy! I hope you get better soon!